Monday, March 20, 2006

Retirement, Travelling, Hotel Rooms

Hi:

Further to my post yesterday, I select hotels when I'm travelling in the following fashion.

If I'm in travelling mode I look for a hotel that has a decent bed and is clean and safe. I do not need to spend a bunch of money on amenities I am not going to use.

We usually arrive later in the day, around four o'clock or so, check in, have a shower and maybe a nap, go out for dinner and go back to the room, relax, go to bed, get up and leave. Who needs the rest?

If we are planning to stay for a few days in the hotel, then I get a bit pickier. Then I want more atmosphere, a pool, perhaps a dining room and a larger room. If I need to relax, I want to do it in a nice place with good furniture and a view.

So, for example, when travelling in Portugal we stayed in various and sundry hotels along the way. When we went to the Algarve coast and stayed a few days we had a nicer place with a lovely breakfast and more room. Otherwise it was just basically in and out. Some places we stay less than twelve hours.

As my husband snores and I'm a chronically poor sleeper, I sometimes try to get a suite with a separate room so I can get a good nights' sleep. Otherwise the days go by and I function with less and less sleep.

Pretty simple plan but it works. Seasoned long-term travellers often travel three weeks of the month and plan for the fourth week in a much higher quality hotel with lots of amenities. They use these amenities to the fullest. Otherwise it's a waste of money to pay for what you are not using.

When we went on a safari in Africa, for example, we roughed it for quite a few days and then relaxed with the best of everything when we had the time to enjoy it.

Seems like a plan to me.

M.


No comments: