Thursday, March 23, 2006

Retirement Travel and Women

Hi:

Besides the adventure trips that some women like to take, there are also the shopping trips that others fancy.

There is something quite engaging about shopping in another country. Things are different. Sometimes it is in quite small ways, or other times the focus of the country comes to the fore.

I remember shopping in Spain. The stores were full of magnificent shawls. The variety of styles and qualities was dazzling. They were so beautiful that I had to buy a lovely red one with a six or eight inch fringe. Spain also had wonderful leather goods, magnificent purses and shoes. With a cosmopolitan city life in Spain, women dress elegantly there.

In Paris I bought scarves. Although I've always worn them quite a bit, the verve with which the Parisiennes wear them in engaging. It was just fun to do.

I like to buy small personal items such as cosmetics and toiletries. They are unusual, easy to carry around, and not expensive.

Power shoppers, however, go for their major purchases. Outlet stores even exist in Europe, usually outside the large cities such as Florence.

Organized tours to these shopping meccas usually focus on particular seasons, when the best buys are available. Some enjoy these marathon days of bargain hunting.

These shopping extravaganzas sound like a nightmare to me, but there are certainly those that enjoy it. I'd rather browse in small local shops. Cultural experiences are my joy.

M.




No comments: